The Alexander Foundation (Stichting Alexander) is an independent Dutch NGO specialised in youth participation and participatory action research. Stichting Alexander has delivered more than 500 projects over 27 years in close collaboration with young people, commissioners and collaborators. Occasionally we engage in international work, e.g. commissioned by the EU or relating to knowledge exchange, but most of our work is located in the Netherlands. On average we run some 25 projects per year throughout the Netherlands on a variety of topics, e.g. mental wellbeing, volunteering, youth care, employability and public space for youth in cities to enhance physical activity. Our team consists of ten highly motivated, critical and creative colleagues.
CRC and PAR
Participation as defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) is at the heart of what we do. This principle asserts that children and young people have the right to freely express their views. There is an obligation to listen to children’s views and to facilitate their participation in all matters affecting them.
We find inspiration in the worldwide movement of Participatory Action Research (PAR), which empowers young people to learn and apply research techniques in order to enable youth to gain a deep understanding of and discover solutions to issues in their community. We adapt, combine and develop existing and new methods for participation.
We offer the following tailored services:
- Qualitative research, to gain an in depth understanding of the worlds of youth;
- Participatory action research, to enable young people to become agents of change through research;
- Train and coach professionals to work in a participatory manner, e.g. in youth care services, local youth work or educational services;
- Facilitate processes aimed at implementing methods and structures for participation and learning and exchange.
For more information reach out to one of our team members.
Also, you might want to check out one of these links or publications.
- Project description Health Cascade
- Children’s Research Group – Slideshare of project
- Participatory Methods for Working With Children and Young People Affected by Sexual Violence. E-Magazine on the impact and results of EU project LEAP.
- ten Brummelaar, M. D. C. (2016). Space between the borders? The participation of young people in
decision-making during their stay in secure residential care. Rijksuniversiteit Groningen. download
- Jurrius, K., Sarti, A., Strating, G., & Uzozie, A. (2012). If I were a researcher: Children about ethics in research with and by children. Amsterdam Stichting Alexander. ISBN: 978-90-8903-025-2. download